As thousands of new Clemson students visit campus this summer for Orientation, Clemson Libraries Special Collections and Archives has a new online exhibit -- “Clemson Bound 1893” ( https://spark.adobe.com/page/atdPcRAEZUd30/ ) -- that looks back 125 years to the first Clemson students. Clemson College opened its doors for the first time on July 6, 1893 for a shortened 5 ½ month session. Approximately 300 students were on campus that day, but over a hundred more continued to arrive before the Board of Trustees voted to close new enrollment over a month later.
“Clemson Bound 1893” looks at the students, the curriculum and the campus during that first year. It includes historic images and documents drawn from the holdings of Special Collections and Archives including the J.C. Littlejohn Collection, The Williston Wightman Klugh Papers, The Richard Wright Simpson Papers, and Board of Trustees Records. Images also include an original 1890s uniform in the collection.